In “Because I could not stop for Death,” Emily Dickinson presents life as a journey that eventually comes to an end. What experiences in your life have reminded you that time moves quickly? How have those experiences affected the way you value your time?
WE love dickinson freak ym vro
Prompt Reponse
I think one time I felt like I was reminded of the brevity of life was when I was writing one of my poems titled "space-time." The opening lines that I wrote are such: "Space tells you time is relative. If so, my life ends with time. All of the rest of time happens when I die." During the time of writing this poem, I was looking at how my life events move behind me like so fluidly. How it feels to remember on thoughts can seem so close but far away. It feels like time is relative to your human experience, and how I believe that these memories and the rest of the time that happens in the future pass when you're gone. It was a strong realization. I don't know what it's like to be nonexistent, but I'd assume it would feel the same as the timelessness of being not born. This realization made want to value the time I was given, especially in my younger years since everyone says how they'd wished they took advantage of the time in their youth. It's an alarming feeling to think about how these years go by so quickly, and in the blink of an eye, I'm 30 and working a job or doing god knows what.
Summary
Today, we took a look at "Because I could not stop for Death" and analyzed line-by-line the process of which Emily Dickinson sees life and death. As a journey that eventually comes to an inevitable end, and the beginning of eternity.
Reflection
This is a very strong piece, and a concept I deal with a lot in my own writing. It was nice to read some more stuff I could connect to on a conceptual level. Emily has this proto-surrealistic quality to her writing. It feels almost detached from her mind, but so deeply rooted in the human experience it feels like something that just springs/reanimates to life when you read her works. This work was definitely not an exception. Nice read.
Comments
Post a Comment