In “The Rockpile,” the children know that the rockpile is dangerous and that they are supposed to stay away from it, but curiosity still draws them toward it. Think about a time when curiosity or temptation caused you to ignore a warning or rule. What happened, and what did you learn from the experience?
hii :)
Prompt Response
I can't really remember a time where I let curiosity driving me to willingly disobey a rule put on me, but I think the closest thing to that would be that feeling of lonliness that drives you to commit to a relationship when you know you aren't ready. I definitely experienced that one before. Not to get very specific but I really liked someone a few years ago, I wanted to do everything for them because I believed if I wasn't "fully committed" in my eyes, then they would drift apart like every else before them. But, I felt as if I did too much and I eventually led them on, they became very interested in me, and then once the loneliness waned away with the relationship we had, I started to realize that I didn't want this. I didn't want them anymore. I only wanted them because I was too alone, not because I had a genuine connection with them. Since I was still very immature, I thought the best idea was to just ghost her. I ghosted her messages, blocked her accounts, and distanced myself from her all of a sudden and I never turned back or saw them again. I think this experience really taught me to not act on such impulses because it not only hurts yourself, it can definitely hurt others. You can mislead people and put them into a position that's not healthy all because you weren't healthy, by dragging them into your problems. I definitely still feel very guilty because they never deserved it.
Summary
Today (technically Sept. 14th) we read and answered questions about the themes and events of James Baldwin's "The Rockpile."
Reflection
This was a very interesting read. I loved the real and raw writing style of this story, and how it didn't want to hide anything. It had very visceral imagery involved and I felt like it was all so thematically strong and very well thought out. Very good read.
Comments
Post a Comment