In "The Rockpile", John and Roy do not always receive the same treatment from the adults in their family. Have you ever felt that you or someone else in your family was treated differently from everyone else? What caused the difference, and do you think it was fair? Explain.
ooh this is a hard one to write
Prompt Response
Wow, this prompt hits straight in the gut because I feel as if my family was built on the differences between me and my brother. I won't go too in depth but the overall sentiment was that, because my brother was this troublemaker who was always involved in something, I was never given much thought about my life and who I am, and because I seemed like a stable, happy kid, there was never really a need to check on me. Was it fair? Probably not. I definitely felt like it wasn't very fair, but it did really shape who I am now so I felt as if it was an unfortunate tradeoff that did pay off in the end.
Summary
Today (technically Sept. 15th) we continued reading and analyzing James Baldwin's "The Rockpile."
Reflection
I don't really have much to say today. I think this story really does speak for itself with how it reflected Depression-era Harlem. It was a hard time period in a hard place to live in, and I feel like the things that it highlights in this story really brings to light some things that we as people are afraid of admitting and seeing in our society. Very strong piece to read.
Comments
Post a Comment